NITRIC OXIDE and NOS3
The marvellous world of our genetic makeup
NOS3 stands for nitric oxide synthase and is discussed on your gene profile if you have a gene polymorphism. A polymorphism means " the presence of genetic variation within a population". You will hear me write time after time that it is not bad to show a polymorphism and we have thousands of polymorphisms but the more we can learn about our genes the more we can make changes and adjust our medicines to help us live a full and healthier life. This gene is classified as having an influence on your cardiovascular health.
The allele results you will see are GT, TT, GG. The SNP I am discussing here is from the rs1799883.
Nitric oxide is a molecule that our body produces to help trillions of cells communicate with each other by transmitting signals throughout the entire body.
Nitric oxide has been shown to be important in the following cellular activities for instance:
- Transmitting information between nerve cells in the brain hence essential for memory and behaviour
- Assist in immune system at fighting off infections like bacteria and defending against cancer
- Regulating Blood Pressure by dilating arteries
- Reducing inflammation
- Improving quality of sleep
- Increase your recognition of senses e.g.smell, hearing, taste and sight
- Increase endurance and strength
- Assist in gastic mobility
- Assist in erection health. (Viagra works by influencing enzymes in the nitric oxide pathway).
The most common way to increase your nitric oxide naturally is by exercise.
In our diet increasing nuts, fruits, dairy and meats helps with amino acids like arginine and L- citruline. Enzymes that convert one to another need to function optimally. To protect these enzymes here at the clinic we may suggest Vitamin C, Alpha Lipoic Acid or Ubiqinol. Nitric Oxide only lasts a few seconds in the body so the more antioxidant protection we provide the more stable it will be and the longer it will last in the body.